Twitter Updates

Friday, March 14, 2008

Memory Lane: Ohio Stadium & St. John Arena

I've gotten a little nostalgic in this state tournament weekend, what better time to find this slideshow of Ohio Stadium (in various stages of construction and renovation) and an awesome set of pictures of St. John Arena, where our beloved Red Riders won all three of their state championships (1992, 95 & 96).

Here's the link.

If seeing that scoreboard in St. John'a doesn't help take you back to the glory years of Orrville basketball, then I don't know what will.

The fact that we were playing in Columbus in the first place was exciting enough, but walking up those steep staircases, seeing the Red Rider logo on the socreboard, seeing your sons & classmates on that floor, watching Smitty work the refs, waiting in line at the Fieldhouse next door to get tickets for the next game, it was all so memorable.

I always get jealous of the teams that make it to State every year, but knowing that you can't make it every year and that someday we'll get back is what makes it tolerable.

What an exciting time that was, it was special for me personally to share that day in 1992 with my father and grandfather. Dad and I have been up and down the basketball trail too many times to count, and Grandpa had been to that building so many times to watch the Bob Knight-led Hoosiers play the Buckeyes, but he didn't attend too many Orrville games......this was one he wouldn't miss though. He passed away a month later, and those March afternoons in 1992 were the last I'd spent with him. Fitting I guess.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy looking at these pictures as much as I did.

No comments: